THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Thursday, February 12, 2009

Palm Harbor, Florida



Snapper’s Comedy Grill
Palm Harbor, Florida
January 30th & 31st, 2009

Snapper’s Comedy Grill has a shorter tradition of comedy, but each time I’ve performed there the gig has been memorable. Before the renovations, the only thing separating the comedy club from the bar was a curtain. You could hear the TV’s and the patrons in the bar screaming obscenities at the basketball game during open mic, while at the same time a guy from Naples, with slicked back hair, white socks and sandals was telling his favorite poopie jokes. One night, the local hottie, Angelia, took a liking to fellow comedian Steve Baird, and she loudly flirted with him through my set. Just a week earlier, I saw Angelia do the same thing with another comic, Johnny O. Only she hit on Johnny O while her date (not Steve, but some other guy) went to the restroom. When he came out, she was all over Johnny O. The other guy patiently waited until Angelia was done “prospecting for new business.” But I think my favorite Snapper’s moment, was when Steve Baird took the stage with a cigarette, and he blew smoke came out of his ears. He didn't mean to...it just happened.

The owners of Snapper’s Comedy Grill are Egyptian, which is about as close to Lebanese as I’m going to get in Florida. I think of the owners, Sherif and Nabil (Nabil pictured at top), as my cousins. New to the family was Bob, the sound guy with tons of comedy club experience. And of course there is the Emmy nominated actor, Artie Fletcher, who was quick to point out that I have "a nice rack." He is the first Emmy nominated actor to admire my rack.

I got an email a few days before the show from a woman named Candi Stripe. She was taking Artie’s comedy class, and was debuting her stand up with a co-worker the weekend I was working. Candi – ironically – was born in Hershey, PA. I was looking forward to meeting Candi, who in real life is a dispatcher for the local sheriff’s office.

We did 3 shows, one Friday, two on Saturday, and they were all great shows. Headliner Keith Purnell (above) was very funny, in a white way. I wrote that, because we talked about him doing traditionally “white” material for these shows, while admitting he didn’t know how to “Soulja Boy.” (And if you’ve seen my show, you know I Soulja Boy, uh huh.) One of the shows I got a partial standing ovation. I made sure I sent a text message to The Disgruntled Clown about it. (The Disgruntled Clown is a headliner that I work with quite a bit.) We did a show in Dothan, Alabama last September, and I got a standing ovation there. I remind him about it, every time I see him. Sometimes I casually bring it up in conversation. We could be talking about bowling, and I’ll say “You know, getting a strike feels just as good as when I got that standing ovation in Dothan, Alabama on September 16th. Oh that’s right. You were the headliner that night, and I was featuring!” Other times, I’ll just start singing “Sweet Home Alabama.” He hates it.

Anyhow…here are the Thank yous…

Big thanks to Snapper’s Comedy Grill, Nabil, Sherif, and Bob. It was nice to be back!
Thanks to Artie for booking me...always fun hanging out with Uncle Artie.
Thanks to the wait staff…I always had a water when I needed one!
Keith Purnell – great working with you. Free Soulja Boy lessons next time, on me!

Thanks to Rose Mucklo Curry and friends. I went to high school with Rose and had no idea she was in Florida. She looks just as good as she did in high school. I hate that. (See pic below)

And big thanks to everyone who bought t-shirts and bumper stickers!

I’m already looking forward to my next performance…July 3rd & 4th. See you then!

0 comments: