THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Sunday, July 8, 2007

Comedy Competitions, Cleveland Comics

Capt. Brien's Off the Hook - The Finals June 27th


Well, I didn't win. But my friend and comedy buddy Bryan Hamilton did win. And I'm happy for him. We've both been in several contests over the last 3-4 years, and we always make the finals but never to the top. He made it this time. I think it's been a long time coming for me at 5 years. But Bryan's been in the business 12+ years. He's opened for Pantera, and hangs out with the bass guitarist for Marilyn Manson. That's something I could never do. But I've performed for The Red Hats in Apollo Beach. That's something Bryan would never do. Sometimes you're flavor of the day...sometimes you aren't. It was not my day to be "the flava."


Comedy in Cleveland next week


I love myspace.com. Myspace has brought me so much. It got me in touch with my friend Sara from elementary school, who is now a Baptist Preacher in Dustball, Texas. It got me in touch with my friend "Laurie" from Roehm Junior High. She now "entertains men in a private setting." But myspace.com also helped me find Joe, a guy I had several classes with in high school. Oddly enough, Joe works for an advertising agency in Cleveland. Isn't that strange, as I work for an advertising agency! Joe now attends the same church in Westlake, Ohio, that I attended when I lived in Cleveland. The kicker...Joe is also a stand up comedian.


Joe has been so gracious to help me secure some mic time in Cleveland...all for the low, low price of a few beers. Wish me luck as I take my comedy to a new state...literally. Doing comedy in Ohio means no hurricane jokes, or song parodies about city managers in Largo. But on the upside...

I'll be attending my 20th high school reunion. I have a funny feeling that I won't be without material for very long! Remember when Ozzy Osbourne was coherent? Remember when we weren't sure if that dude in Culture Club was gay? Remember when Michael Jackson was black?

0 comments: